Sorry, no audio because we were rocking some "Pour Some Sugar On Me" in the background and YouTube is being sour about copyright issues.
- Cut the carpet with 1.5-2 inches of extra materials around the edges. You don't want to fall short.
- Wall Panels are cut from your 4x8 1/4" birch.
- Use heavy duty trim or automotive headliner adhesive for your panels. Elmers spray glue will have you pulling your hair out when your fabric starts to fall off. To be extra careful, especially with hanging panels like your roof, spray the panel and the material and wait 5-10 minutes for the adhesive to tack (see the bottle for instructions).
- Once glued, carefully lay your panel onto your material and flip it, use your J-roller (or hands if you must) to ensure there are no air bubbles and that the material is pressed against the panel.
- Once you have rolled/pressed the material onto the panel face, flip the panel back over so you see the back of the panel.
- Pull the material over your wall panel and staple the side that takes the LEAST amount of pulling and stretching. This will secure a side for those tricky curves and corners that will need LOTS of pulling.
- Use the staple gun to "hook" material and stretch further. MAKE SURE you check the size of the staples, the last thing you want to do is create this beautiful panel, have your fabric cut and staple through the front of it and puncture the other side.
- Always pull tight to create the "tightest" looking wall panel. See the video on how to cut your corners properly into a little dovetail to make it easier on yourself.
- Scotch Guard your vinyl wall panels when complete to protect from stains.
This will give you a beautifully covered wall panel for your van conversion.
If you don't know where to buy product for your conversion, look for some local upholstery shops who will sell you some carpet or vinyl. Amazon also has some selection but it's hard to tell what it looks like in a small image.
Carpet & Vinyl commonly used in van conversions:
- Duramax Carpet
- Automotive Carpet
- Church Pew Carpet
- Interweave Carpet
- Marine Vinyl
If you cannot find these from a local shop, give us a shout and we will do our best to help you out!
We hope this helps you on your DIY journey, if you have any questions or comments let us know!
Paved To Pines.